quack

quack

Sunday 21 July 2013

on tissue damage and transitions

I’m writing this really in case it’s of interest to others specifically with breaks (including clavicle), as well as to think how health care can better support people get better.

from bone break to tissue damage:

when I discovered I’d broken my clavicle, the impression I had was that it would get better, and within a period of time – initially I thought 3 weeks from my googling, and then 10 weeks after I’d visited the fracture clinic where I talked with a medical doctor, and discussion with my privately organised physio.

After a couple of weeks I did notice a different slant to my shoulders, but another very experienced complementary practitioner thought if anything the new position was better.  However, a recent consultation with a new physio revealed the opinion that my shoulder has ‘dropped’, as I understand it since the bone has re-joined in a slightly different position – this impacts on where I can put my arm – so, wriggling movements feel damaging, as well as something close to the tennis overarm serve (which I would like to get back to doing).

and so I am now considering the more real possibility of long-term/permanent damage, and it was an unpleasant shock. 

what really strikes me is the kind of seamless transition from ‘going to get better soon’ to ‘well, probably not’ – there feels to be no attention or space given to the, I guess, psychological effect of this on me. – apart from from me, and I realised I was going through a kind of Kubler Ross bereavement process, feeling anger and grief, as a start.

A physio kindly sent me an article about clavicle / shoulder breaks, and this indicates that generally a bigger problem than the break is the damaged tissue – I hadn’t quite absorbed this before, and it gives me a new view – which feels relevant to other conditions of clients and friends/ relatives that I have observed.

present medical practice seems to virtually ignore this – and this may be a place where shiatsu and other forms of body work may be strong.

food for thought – do add any you have to this blog – I’d be interested.

regards, Catherine.

No comments:

Post a Comment