quack

quack

Thursday 26 May 2011

here, catch! - exercises...diet... lifestyle

I've been re-visiting the thinking on how useful exercises are shared and learned.  In part, this has been catalysed by my own health (sciatic?) issues of late.

How do we know which are good exercises?  Why do different practitioners recommend different things?  How far do service users actually learn from the exercises to do?  Should one build on what the client already knows or offer something that the practitioner is more familiar with?

What I notice for me, is that when I am 'sick' I'm particularly unreceptive to learning something 'new'.  It simply can be hard to get a proper grasp of.  So, for me, it feels helpful to build on what I already have and am familiar with.  Also, I don't really feel I want to do anything too painful, and some exercises are outside my present repertoire, so it's a question of finding something lesser that is still relevant.

As a practitioner, I have offered regularly classes so that people can come in and join in, with time put aside, and good amounts of space to do the exercises in.  I have also written up some exercises individually or as sequences for clients to refer to.  Occasionally, I refer to where they are written up in books.  I have pondered having a recommendation list for after a session - might only have one thing on after a session.  But never really actioned this.  As a client, I can see, if handled sensitively this could be helpful - including e.g. amount of time, or frequency to do.  This can otherwise feel a bit too open to interpretation.  Are we talking e.g. 3 hours a day, or half an hour, or even 5 minutes?

allfornow,
feel free to add any thoughts and views you have on this topic.

(Although I have focused on exercise, I think this can be relevant to e.g. discussions on diet and lifestyle, with perhaps particular focus on implications for each - perhaps better address these on a new thread.

allfornow (again).
c.

No comments:

Post a Comment